Household products harm thousands of people worldwide every year, with danger ranging from property damages to injury and death. A lot of scientists are beginning to believe that the chemicals in most of the goods we use daily may actually be more toxic than we used to think.
Here are some of the most common household products that could be hazardous to your family’s health:
- Baby Bottles and Other Plastics with BPA
Polycarbonate plastics are made with BPA. A chemical that has a structure similar to estrogen. BPA can interfere with hormones, especially those of children. Unfortunately, a lot of baby bottles are made from this type of plastic, too.
- Cleaning Solutions and Air Fresheners
Cleaning and freshening products, when used inappropriately or excessively (especially in a small area with poor ventilation), can release really toxic pollutants that come from ethylene-based glycol ethers and terpenes. Terpenes, while non-toxic, can react with ozone resulting to a poisonous combination. Ethers are quite toxic on their own.
- Volatile Organic Compounds
Carpets have recently been scrutinized because of the harmful VOC emissions that come from the dyes and glues that are used with carpeting. Similarly, a study also found that there are some laser printers that give off these toxic volatile organic compound emissions.
- Lead Paint
Considered one of the greatest environmental threats to children, lead, even in very low concentrations can actually affect a child’s nervous system, blood cells, and kidneys, among others. It can also cause various developmental disorders among fetuses and very young children. Unfortunately, a lot of homes built before the year 1978 contain this harmful substance. And the problem is, once the lead paint peels away, you are exposed to lead particles that you and your young ones could inhale.
Most households use some form of pesticide, which is a term used for various chemical formulas that are meant to kill the tiniest insects and even rodents. The chemicals found in these products can be very harmful to the health of your family, especially of your children.
Some people still use these repellents to keep moths away. However, there are moth balls that use naphthalene which can damage your red blood cells, and cause nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting, after prolonged exposure. Others contain paradichlorobenzene which can cause cancer in some animals.
Your home should be the safest place for your family, but that safety is compromised when you use and store these products. How many of these products do you still have at home?